Monday, February 6, 2012

The turtle may finish slow, but he finishes!


I was checking my Facebook page, and I saw a picture posted by a friend.  It came from I <3 running's Facebook photo album.    It said "No Matter How Slow you go, You are still lapping everybody on the couch." Under the picture it said "Whether it's a 14 minute mile or a 6 minute mile, it's still a mile."   Here's the link to the page if you want to see it!  http://on.fb.me/xtH6j8

I love this, mostly because I am not a fast runner.  I would love to be faster and continuously work on my speed.  Often, I think speed is the most intimidating factor when running.  As we walk everyday for thirty minutes, what speed are you going?  Fast or Slow, all that really matters is that you go!

Have you been walking for awhile and think running is out of your league?  Why not just try a little more speed?  Speaking of lapping everyone around the couch...Did you know that the Couch-to-5k app, and podcasts are free?  It's a simple download from iTunes.  Listen to as you walk/run.  I think it's an easy transition from walking.  The speaker gives you advice as your start walking, and lets you know when it's time to run and pick up your pace.  The nine week program helps you gradually increase your run time, while still walking in between.  This gradual increase is also great for after an injury or time off from running.  Even if we are ready mentally to run 5 miles, our bodies may not be.

Having a fairly recent surgery, I am working on coming back to running, and this program is just what I needed.  It reminds me to take it slow.  Taking it slow, may not always be the first to the finish line, but moving your body for good health is always a win!


No comments:

Post a Comment