Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Planning is the Name of the Game...


           We are six days into No Money March.  I looked into my pantry and freezer.  Then I decided I better find some low cost recipes.  I already plan out our week’s worth of meals.  I try to buy groceries on sale, but also have my staples.  I occasionally try new recipes.  However, I never thought that spending less would give me the opportunity to tackle new dinner recipes! 
            I began looking at cheaper living websites like www.frugalvillage.com and www.frugalliving.about.com for inexpensive dinner recipes.  Then I hit the panic button.  They all began their conversations with how they plan the month’s menu.  I really hadn’t planned at all.  I was just thinking, sure, we’ll eat everything we have in the pantry.  During recent discussions with neighbors and friends, the conversation raised the questions, “What if there were a disaster? How long would our food last?”  Then, I began to plan.
            On Friday, I made two apple pies; usually I cut off the edges of my crust.  I either let my kids play with the dough, or I toss it.  Not this time!  I saved it, and will be use it tonight as the bottom layer of our quiche.  Quiche sounds fancy, but really it’s egg with a toss of other ingredients.  I realized that I have spinach about to go bad.  At this point, to throw out anything would be sacrilege.  We’ll be having a ham, cheese, and spinach quiche. 
            I also made baked potato slices with cheese and bacon on Friday.  Normally I would have tossed the ends of the potatoes I had cut off.  Not this time! I plan to use the ends for another meal.  Baked potato skins will become a nice side dish to a later meal.  Finally, my last example, we had Roast last night.  I saved the left over roast and will use it for Vegetable Beef Soup later this month. 
            Anyway, you get the picture.  I planned our entire month’s menu using what we had in the pantry.  I counted every can of beans, chicken, and corn.  I aligned the boxes of rice and pasta.  Right now, I think we can make it until the 29th without having any strange meals.  Sure we’re going to have some meatless meals, and our meals may have less meat than usual.  Maybe it will be better for us in the long run.  It will definitely be better for our wallets!  

No comments:

Post a Comment